- About Us
Mercy Street is a worship community of Chapelwood United Methodist Church. Our mission is to be a safe harbor of hope and transformation, so all may experience the radical grace of God. We are both a church and a missional outreach.
We welcome individuals who are looking for a safe spiritual harbor to regain hope and reconnect with God. Generally, these are persons in crisis or in a major life transition and may attend Mercy Street once or stay with us for a year. We call this our wide front door.
We also welcome and disciple persons who will become part of the core of Mercy Street, meaning our community becomes their church home for years. They become leaders and volunteers who inspire, create, and sustain the ministries of Mercy Street. These individuals gather in our “living room” where they mature in their faith and find a purpose and calling in ministry.
Mercy Street is a community with a high percentage of individuals and families in recovery from addictions as well as individuals or families affected by mental health. In addition to being compassionate, caring and welcoming, the ideal candidate will be a bridge builder among the worlds of the church, recovery, re-entry from prison, and mental health, while holding the integrity of Mercy Street’s mission.
As Admin Operations, the candidate will work closely with the Director(s), as well as the Mercy Street Pastor, Staff, and Volunteers, to clearly communicate the procedures and decisions necessary to effectively meet the ministry goals of Mercy Street. This position is responsible for various administrative tasks, supporting the Mercy Street staff, volunteer leaders, and volunteers.
1. All administrative duties for Mercy Street ministries. Direct supervisor will be Director of Outreach & Operations.
2. Provide administrative support to all ministries of Mercy Street.
3. Weekly Meeting with Mercy Street Staff
4. Data tracking with Shelby ARENA software: Update all attendance and data for worship, small groups, serving, contact info
5. Mercy Street Volunteers – maintain rosters, coordination of roles with staffMonthly Meetings with Ministry Directors
6. Outreach—coordination of logistics with volunteer teams and MS staff persons
1. Volunteer recruitment and training
2. Saturday night programming and special events with emphasis on teaching the Bible and providing a safe, loving environment. Works closely with the Director of Spiritual Formation on integration of programming for kids and adults.
3. Budget oversight for the ministry area
1. Attend, support, and actively participate in Mercy Street events
2. Attend and participate in Chapelwood Staff Retreats and all other staff events at the church.
1. Detailed oriented and organized process for prioritizing assignments while consistently maintaining the records for MS and all administrative responsibilities.
2. Ability to lead and equip volunteers; strong and effective written, verbal, and personal communication skills; motivational encourager for staff and volunteers
3. People related skills
4. Willing to undergo a complete background check
5. Enhance professional and spiritual growth through continuing education opportunities
6. Organizational and communication skills
7. Maintain physical, emotional, relational, and spiritual health
1. Maintain a regular weekly sabbath of resting and refilling your tank
Director of Outreach & Operations (Director)
1. Is a deeply committed Christian, who lives out his/her faith through actions and words
2. Has a passion to grow in faith and for others to know Christ
3. Is dependable and trustworthy, with the ability to create a safe place for others
4. Is teachable
5. Is confident in beliefs and self
6. Is a member of or is willing to become a member of Chapelwood United Methodist Church, or be supportive of the Wesleyan theological tradition
7. Is of high and verifiable moral character
1. Enjoys working as a self-starting and motivated member of a dynamic and fast-paced creative team, with the ability to adapt well and handle constant change and challenges
2. Is able to build and maintain strong relationships with others
3. Fulfills the expectations of the staff as outlined in the Chapelwood UMC “Staff Values Covenant” (expected behaviors) and the “Staff Responsibilities Covenant” (core responsibilities). This includes being able to demonstrate and communicate the vision and mission of the church.
4. Values empowering and then working alongside lay core teams
Chapelwood offers a competitive compensation commensurate with education and work experience. The particulars of compensation will be worked out with the successful candidate upon satisfactory completion of financial and criminal background checks.
If you think God might be calling you to this position, please send resume to:
Susan Hall, [email protected] or call (713) 354-4456.