WHO IS CHAPELWOOD?
Chapelwood United Methodist Church, founded in 1949, is a 6,500-plus-member church located in the Memorial Villages of Houston, Texas. It is a “community of communities” with four campuses housing seven worship communities that host weekly worship services, all serving with a common mission, values, and disciple-making pathway. (See www.chapelwood.org.)
MISSION, VALUES, AND DISCIPLE-MAKING PATHWAY
Our mission (WHAT we do) is…
To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world (Mission of the UM Church)by embodying God’s grace as we receive it to those who need it (Mission of Chapelwood).
We fulfill this mission operating within TEN CORE VALUES which form the foundation on which we perform our actions and live into our calling:
- Establishing Unity:We tap into the synergy of “community of communities”
- Encouraging Diversity:We live into God’s dream of a diverse kingdom
- Embodying Grace:We embody grace as we receive it those who need it
- Providing a Discipleship Pathway: We offer a clear, consistent, simple, measurable, and grace-centered path to discipleship
- Taking Risks:We are innovative, adaptive, energetic, nimble, and entrepreneurial
- Becoming Faithful Stewards:We recognize the gift we have been given isn’t ours
- Developing a Missional Heart:We are focused, relational, and strategic in our approach to missions
- Ministering to All Stages of Life:We minister to all ages, from cradle to grave
- Embracing a Sense of Urgency:We are not complacent … too much is at stake
- Becoming a Learning Congregation:We learn through success and failure
The work of embodying grace for disciple-making is about spiritual formation, which is a lot like breathing. Spiritual formation we understand to be about a deepening connection with God (internal, breathe in) that makes a difference (change) in who we are with God, self, others, and the created world (external, breathe out).
Our disciple-making pathway (HOW we make disciples) is to help people …
EXPERIENCE grace (in worship)
GROW in grace (in groups and relationships)
SHARE grace (in ministry)
We call this disciple-making pathway “E-G-S” for short.
Chapelwood Children’s Discipleship Mission Statement:
We partner with families and across generations to welcome, disciple, and nurture all children as they grow in their relationship with Christ.
All Chapelwood staff members covenant to live by the Staff Values Covenant, which is formulated in the classic Wesleyan format of “do no harm,” “do good,” and “stay in love with God.”
Chapelwood is seeking a full-time Associate Director of Children’s Ministries, who works primarily with 4th-5th grade children and their families. This person is responsible for all programs to these children and their families and the management, equipping and nurturing of all related volunteers. The successful candidate will be able to lead a program that is biblical, inspiring, inviting, fun and encouraging so that children and their families are motivated to engage and be spiritually nurtured in their participation with the program. Strong interpersonal skills, as well as team building, communication, administration, and program management are essential.
The successful candidate will offer the best fit among our 3-C’s of hiring: Competence, Character, and Culture.
- Administer and coordinate the 4ht-5thgrade ministries of Chapelwood. These ministries should include excellent Bible-based curriculum with emphasis on life application messages supported by a wide variety of activities for variety & different learning styles (music, hands-on projects, games, etc).
- Work together with the Chapelwood children’s ministry team (staff and volunteers) to organize social events, service projects, and special events for children and their families that build Christian community, encourage missional living, and reach out to families who are not yet a part of Chapelwood.
- Recruit, equip, and support adult and teen volunteers.
- Attend/assist with weekly all-staff meeting, weekly children’s ministry staff meetings, special events, Easter, children’s Christmas Eve worship services, other services when children are participating, annual Chapelwood staff retreat, and other Chapelwood events that require an ‘all hands on deck’ team approach. Attend the 8:25am Family worship service.
- Work with the other departments around Chapelwood to foster partnerships in ministry to meet our church-wide goals, and to ensure effective promotion & implementation of ministries.
- Candidate should be skilled at:
- Actively recruiting new and inactive families to participate in children’s ministries,
- Inspiring a love for God, and a love for a community that engages children and their families in service and relationship with one another,
- Coordinating elementary activities, maintaining budget, communicating effectively with children and adults, and identifying/recruiting/training volunteers,
- Listening to others, leading with grace, and recognizing God at work in the lives of children,
- Using technology, websites, social media, etc.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
Able to move freely in and out of different settings (homes, church, camp, etc.); able to engage in physical activities with children and youth, including games, hiking, etc.; able to speak in a public forum; computer competence and ability to work at a computer screen; able to climb and descend steps; some lifting required.
Education and Experience
An ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in working with children
- Training in Christian education or a willingness to obtain
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and unite a team of individuals that will inspire and encourage families and children in their love of God and others.
Professional and Personal Growth
An ideal candidate
- Seeks professional and spiritual growth through continuing education opportunities
- Maintains physical, emotional, relational, and spiritual health
- Pursues an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ
- Is a deeply committed Christian, who lives out his/her faith through actions and words
- Has a passion to grow in faith and for others to know Christ
- Is trustworthy, with the ability to create a safe place for others, and dependable
- Is teachable
- Is confident in beliefs and self
- Is a member of or is willing to become a member of Chapelwood United Methodist Church
- Enjoys working as a self-motivated member of a dynamic and fast-paced creative team, with the ability to adapt well and handle constant change and challenges
- Is able to build strong relationships with others
- Fulfills the expectations of the staff as outlined in the Chapelwood UMC “Staff Values Covenant” (expected behaviors) and the “Staff Responsibilities Covenant” (core responsibilities). This includes being able to demonstrate and communicate the vision of the church.
- Values empowering and then working alongside lay core teams
Chapelwood offers a competitive compensation package of salary and excellent benefits (medical, dental, vision, retirement) commensurate with education and work experience. Particulars of compensation will be worked out with the successful candidate upon satisfactory completion of financial and criminal background checks.