- About Us
Chapelwood United Methodist Church, founded in 1949, is a 6,000-plus-member church located in the Memorial Villages of Houston, Texas. It is a “community of communities” with two campuses housing five worship communities that host seven weekly worship services, all serving with a common mission, values, and disciple-making pathway. (See www.chapelwood.org.)
Our mission (WHAT we do) is…
To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world (Mission of the UM Church) by embodying God’s grace as we receive it to those who need it (Mission of Chapelwood). We fulfill this mission operating within TEN CORE VALUES which form the foundation on which we perform our actions and live into our calling:
1. Establishing Unity: We tap into the synergy of “community of communities”
2. Encouraging Diversity: We live into God’s dream of a diverse kingdom
3. Embodying Grace: We embody grace as we receive it those who need it
4. Providing a Discipleship Pathway: We offer a clear, consistent, simple, measurable, and grace-centered path to discipleship
5. Taking Risks: We are innovative, adaptive, energetic, nimble, and entrepreneurial
6. Becoming Faithful Stewards: We recognize the gift we have been given isn’t ours
7. Developing a Missional Heart: We are focused, relational, and strategic in our approach to missions
8. Ministering to All Stages of Life: We minister to all ages, from cradle to grave
9. Embracing a Sense of Urgency: We are not complacent … too much is at stake
10. Becoming a Learning Congregation: We learn through success and failure
The work of embodying grace for disciple-making is about spiritual formation, which is a lot like breathing. Spiritual formation we understand to be about a deepening connection with God (internal, breathe in) that makes a difference (change) in who we are with God, self, others, and the created world (external, breathe out).
The Chapelwood UMC discipleship pathway
(HOW we make disciples or do spiritual formation) is designed to help people …
EXPERIENCE grace (in worship)
GROW in grace (in groups and relationships)
SHARE grace (in ministry)
We call this discipleship pathway “E-G-S” for short.
The Center for Christian Spirituality is a contemplative Christian community. The above definition of spiritual formation reflects the Mission of The Center: The Center for Christian Spirituality companions with persons who seek a deepening connection with God that makes a difference in who they are with God, self, others, and the created world. We do that through offering contemplative worship opportunities every Sunday morning at 8:45 in our Chapel, through classes on contemplative living, prayer retreats, small groups and larger community gatherings, as well as our online platform Epiphany Today. Our three “anchors” or core values are contemplative, compassionate, and creative. For more about us, go to: www.chapelwood.org/contemplative.
All Chapelwood staff members covenant to live by the Staff Values Covenant, which is formulated in the classic Wesleyan format of “do no harm,” “do good,” and “stay in love with God.” The Ministry Assistant for The Center for Christian Spirituality has administrative responsibilities in the fourfold ministry of The Center (Contemplative Worship, Community, Formation, and Outreach). This is a unique opportunity to be in and work within a contemplative environment that combines attention to one's outer work and how we are doing (the fulfillment of the duties of the job) as well as our inner work and how we are being (self-observation and awareness, non-identification, and working with our personality). At The Center we will support your "inner being" as well as your "outer work." The Ministry Assistant:
• serves as the primary administrator of The Center’s online presence via the website, social media, and Epiphany Today (The Center’s online platform for community-building and formation).
• serves as the “Gateway” to The Anchor House (the house next-door to the church that The Center stewards as a welcoming and inviting sacred space to foster prayer, creativity, learning and community) and will monitor its registrations, care, and maintenance.
• will work for The Center approximately 20 hours each week, through a hybrid of working offsite and onsite, as needed.
• is expected to work and provide supportive presence on Sunday mornings, attend all meetings in person, and some occasional weekend events.
• works with on-going and emerging groups within The Center.
Administrative / Financial
1. Collect information, design and format weekly and seasonal publications of the offerings of The Center.
2. Maintain attendance records of all worship services at The Center, classes, small groups, and special events.
3. Work alongside the Pastor of The Center to track regular discipleship metrics.
4. Determine set-up needs, make room reservations, and follow up on execution of set-ups for The Center.
5. Process check requests, reimbursements, deposits and budget expenditures.
Formation / Communication
1. Develop relationships with the lay leaders in The Center for the purpose of leadership development, scheduling, and information about ministry updates. Coordinate volunteers. Keep an updated calendar of The Center.
2. Work with Creative Arts and Production staff for timely and accurate information of The Center opportunities through Chapelwood's publicity channels.
3. Will have primary responsibility for keeping web sites of The Center and Epiphany Today (The Center’s online platform) up to date.
4. Assist the Pastor, Associate Pastor and Associate Director of The Center with production of weekly internal and external communications by sending weekly reminders (email and social media), helping maintain the distribution lists and distributing copies.
1. Able to organize numerous projects with attention to detail. Able to work within a team and independently. Proven experience in time management and prioritizing tasks.
2. Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Publisher. Experience or willingness to learn Chapelwood’s membership database software (Shelby Arena). Proficient computer skills for the various systems for web site, graphic design, registrations, payments, project management, and reservations.
3. Able to listen and respond to adults seeking guidance about The Center, The Anchor House, and Epiphany Today, and to interface with staff and lay leaders of the various groups as needs arise.
Education and Experience
1. Two - three years of Administrative experience
2. Willingness and demonstrated ability to connect with staff and church members to execute ministry ideas and programs
Professional and Personal Growth
1. Enhances professional and spiritual growth through continuing education opportunities and professional memberships
2. Maintains physical, emotional, relational, and spiritual health
3. Pursues an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ
4. Appreciation for the contemplative Christian tradition, or at least an openness to learn and grow in understanding and practice
1. Is a deeply committed Christian, who lives out his/her faith through actions and words
2. Has a passion to grow in faith and for others to know Christ
3. Is trustworthy, with the ability to create a safe place for others, and dependable
4. Is teachable
5. Is confident in beliefs and self
6. Is a member of or is willing to become a member of Chapelwood United Methodist Church, or be supportive of the Wesleyan theological tradition
1. Enjoys working as a self-motivated member of a dynamic and fast-paced creative team, with the ability to adapt well and handle constant change and challenges
2. Is able to build strong relationships with others
3. Fulfills the expectations of the staff as outlined in the Chapelwood UMC “Staff Values Covenant” (expected behaviors) and the “Staff Responsibilities Covenant” (core responsibilities). This includes being able to demonstrate and communicate the vision of the church.
4. Values empowering and then working alongside lay leadership teams
Chapelwood offers a competitive compensation package of salary and excellent benefits (medical, dental, vision, retirement) commensurate with education and work experience. Particulars of compensation will be worked out with the successful candidate upon satisfactory completion of financial and criminal background checks.
HR and Office Manager