Camp Chapelwood is a five week summer camp for children five years old through fifth grade, and is open to both church members and community friends. Campers may choose which weeks to attend ~ they can come one week or all five. At each weekly Session, campers participate in a variety of activities where they can learn new skills and develop new interests. These include gymnastics, self-defense class, crafts, games, science, cooking and presentations by educational and/or entertaining speakers and groups ~ from theatre performances to bike stunt teams, magicians, authors, science discovery programs, building with legos and more. All activities are led by adult counselors, who are assisted by high school and college students.
The Camp Director is Joanne Buchwald who plans, coordinates and supervises all aspects of Camp. All registrations, correspondence, telephone calls, questions and requests for information should be directed to Joanne at (713) 465-3467 ext 160 or [email protected].
Parents, we originally posted that campers would be required to wear masks while at Camp. As the case numbers and hospitalizations have decreased over the last months, Chapelwood has changed policies about wearing masks. Camp Chapelwood will be following the overall directives of the church. Our decisions are based on recommendations from the leaders of the Texas Medical Center. At this time, Camp Chapelwood will not be requiring masks for campers this summer. We hope this is good news for you and your family. If you have any concerns with these guideline changes, please contact Joanne Buchwald at [email protected]. Thank you for understanding the ever-changing dynamics of the COVID-19 world we are all living in.
REGISTRATION IS STILL OPEN - SPACE AVAILABLE IN SESSIONS 3 AND 5
Those unable to register online may bring or mail forms to the church office to: Camp Chapelwood, Attn: Joanne Buchwald, 11140 Greenbay Street, Houston, TX 77024. When submitting paper forms, the CAMP CHAPELWOOD 2021 REGISTRATION FORM and the Master Release and Consent to Treat Form must both be completely filled out and signed. Children may be enrolled in one or more of the five Sessions. Only the Camp Director may fill openings in Camp.
For details about each week of Camp, click the Session buttons below:
Update on June 16: Sessions 1, 2 and 4 are now FULL.
June 7 - 10
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK INCLUDE A MAGIC SHOW, VISITING BIKE STUNT TEAM AND A CHILDREN'S THEATRE PERFORMANCE
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK ARE A VISITING AUTHOR, SPLASH DAY ACTIVITIES, BIKE RIDING FUN AND STARGAZING IN THE DISCOVERY DOME
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK INCLUDE BUILDING BRAINS WITH LEGOS AND ENTERTAINMENT BY CHIMAL CIRCUS ARTS COMPANY
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK INCLUDE THE ACRODUNK SLAM DUNK SHOW, FIeLD TRIP TO I FLY AND COOL CHEMISTRY WITH HMNS
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK INCLUDE A FUN-FILLED SPLASH DAY AND GYM-FLATABLES BOUNCE HOUSES
Check out our schedule below:
The above schedule is our plan for the summer, and we fully expect to be able to offer this programming. In the event that regulations around the COVID virus change, we could possibly have to cancel Field Trips and make other changes in activities. We hope that doesn't happen, but it is a possibility in these ever-changing times. Our goal remains to maintain the fun spirit of Camp in spite of ongoing COVID issues, and we will do everything in our power to make that happen.
COST of CAMP ~ FEES ~ REFUND POLICY
- The Cost of Camp per child for each weekly Session is: $200 for Chapelwood members, and $210 for those who are not Chapelwood members.
- Drop fee before April 30 (per Session) is $50.
- Late pick up fee for each child is $5 for every 15 minutes.
- A written request to cancel a camper's registration is required to process a refund. Cancellations made prior to April 30 will receive a full refund, minus the $50 Drop fee. No refunds will be made after April 30.
GENERAL CAMP INFORMATION
- Campers must be five (5) years old by the day they start Camp.
- Children will be grouped according to their school grade as of September 2021.
- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday schedules will be 9:00 a.m. - 1:45 p.m. (except for Session 5). Groups rotate among activities that are divided into equal time blocks on these days.
- Wednesdays are longer days, from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., and will feature either a Field Trip, a Splash Day or a visiting Circus.
- Session 5 is a three (3) day week, due to the church being closed on July 2 and 5 for the 4th of July holiday. Camp hours are longer that week.
- Camp drop off and pick up will be on the north side of the Williams Building. It is helpful to display a sign with your child's first name in your windshield.
- A late fee will be charged for each camper picked up late. Promptness is encouraged.
- Lunches should be sent in plastic throwaway bags with disposable drinks. Please do not send lunch kits to Camp.
- Comfortable shorts and old t-shirts are best at Cap. Tennis shoes and socks are required for all campers.
- All items sent to Camp should be labeled with camper's first and last name (bags, hats, lunches, clothing, equipment).
We hope to see you this summer at Camp!